Where I Stand on the Issues
Along with the vast majority of Americans, I support, and will fight for:
- background checks for all gun sales including private sales and trades between individuals,
- restoring the assault weapons ban, restricting military-style weapons, such as automatic and semi-automatic weapons, to use by the military and the police only,
- banning bumpstocks and any other devices which turn non-automatics into automatics or semi-automatics,
- banning high capacity magazines
- banning silencers,
- banning online sales of guns and ammunition,
- preventing convicted domestic abusers from possessing guns,
- closing the “boyfriend loophole” to prevent unmarried partners charged with violent felonies from possessing weapons.
- creating a system to fairly identify and exclude people with serious mental illnesses from obtaining guns,
- making gun licenses more like automobile drivers licenses, with required education and testing in the safe use and storage of guns and ammunition, and required insurance;
- raising the minimum age for buying a gun to 21,
- creating a waiting period of at least three days between the request for a permit to buy, which initiates a background check, and the purchase, and
- repealing gun manufacturer liability immunity,
- restoring funding and authorization for the Centers for Disease Control to study gun violence as a health issue.
I’m open to suggestions from experts for additional legislation that would reduce the loss of life.
We don’t have to start from scratch. There are already many pieces of legislation awaiting action in Congress.
Moms Demand Action For Gun Sense in America has a great web page that debunks gun myths: https://momsdemandaction.org/campaigns/debunking-gun-myths/